20091112


I am not a proponent of "rules" in personal style. For me, there are no rules or even guidelines, only matters of taste. But oh, how magical are these words when they come from brilliant men, the most influential in the sartorial world.

Details Magazine asks them to list their "Rules of Style." I like lists.
Today we are hearing from someone I admire very deeply, Yohji Yamamoto:

"There was a time when I used to fall in love on the street every day. I would see someone with such a way about them or such a flawless item that I would have to say, “Stop! Please! That’s perfect.”
Fashion cannot make you sexy. Experience makes you sexy. Imagination makes people sexy. You have to train yourself, you have to study, and you have to live your life.
I want to be able to wear things that don’t fit perfectly, with the sleeves far too long. I wish clothing came with no sizes at all. It would be much better that way.
I believe that as modern people we should live in mobility. We should always be moving."

1 comment:

Hélène Heath said...

This is such an amazing post. Mister Yamamoto's words are very touching... This humanizes him to such an extent, i think i just fell in love myself.